September 5, 2018 PC Minutes

September 6, 2018

SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES                           September 5, 2018

 

Members Present: D. Patterson (Chair); S. Gregg (Vice-Chair); D. Roy; B. Kerr

Public Present: Tim Maxham; Michelle Gammal; Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

7:00PM – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.

 

Changes to the Agenda

There were none.

 

Public Input

None at this time.

 

Introduction of New Planning Commission Member

Michelle Gammal introduced herself to the Commission members, describing her connection to the community and wish to get more involved.   Michelle will attend the September 10 Selectboard meeting where she will be formally appointed to the Commission to complete an open 3-year term that will expire on June 1, 2019.  At that time, she may request an appointment to a full 3-year term.

 

Continue Review of Sign Ordinance Draft

Discussion included –

  1. Locations of signs within rights-of-way on State and local roads;
  2. Height of signs;
  3. Sandwich boards – do they need regulating?
  4. The format of the ordinance document;
  5. Political signs – how long before the election can they be out?
  6. Awnings as business signs;
  7. The length of grace periods – 7 years;
  8. Internally-lit signs;
  9. Who enforces? Who has the authority to enforce?

 

A new draft will be submitted to the Selectboard at their 9/10 meeting.

 

Review of Minutes

  1. Kerr moved to accept the minutes from August 15, 2018; S. Gregg second. All in favor.

 

Administrator’s Report

There was discussion on the preparation of the draft for the proposed updated Development Regulations.  NRPC will be available to assist in editing tables and formatting, etc.  Martha will continue editing the body of the document and have some available for the 9/19 PC meeting for final review.  Discussion also included the application for the 2019 Municipal Planning Grant for a feasibility study of the Old White Meeting House, the approval process for the updated Regulations (Town vote of adoption by the Selectboard), and a possible 5th Monday meeting in October.  B. Kerr felt it important to find out what the consensus is from the community on the proposed boundaries of the proposed South Hero Village District by showing options on a map for people to see.  D. Patterson and D. Roy felt the public had already had had many opportunities to weigh in, and that the document needs to be finalized and presented.

 

8:44PM – S. Gregg moved to adjourn; D. Roy second.  All in favor.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

 

Signed: ____________________________________ Date: _______________________

                        For the Planning Commission

 

These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly-scheduled meeting.  All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.

 

 

September 5, 2018 PC Agenda

September 4, 2018

 

PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING

September 5, 2018

 

South Hero Town Hall @ 7PM

 

AGENDA

 

 

1.     Changes to the Agenda

2.     Public Input

3.     Introduction of potential new PC member

4.     Con’t review of Sign Ordinance draft

5.     Meeting Minutes

6.     New/Old Business

7.     Administrator’s Report 

8.     Adjournment        

 

August 15, 2018 PC Minutes

August 17, 2018

SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSI0N MINUTES                                        August 15, 2018

 

Members Present: D. Patterson (Chair); S. Gregg (Vice-Chair); B. Kerr

Public Present: T. Maxham; Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

7.00pm – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.

 

Changes to the Agenda

There were none.

 

Public Input

There was none.

 

Draft Review – Definitions

There was discussion on the difference between Personal and Professional Services.  It was decided to leave it as “Professional Services” in the definitions and include. As example, all those that had been individually listed under each heading.  Table 2.1 (Allowed Uses) includes them both under the same heading and requires conditional use and site plan review for each (if they meet the requirements due to number of employees).

Incidental Structure’ will remain as a separate definition even though it is also considered an accessory structure.

There was additional discussion about whether there was a need to regulate short-term rentals (AirBnb, etc).  The members decided against regulations but encouraged the ZA to inform homeowners that there is State Statute regarding requirements for Fire and Safety Code.

 

Con’t. Review of Sign Ordinance

            There was discussion on lit signs and how/if signs for some businesses should be allowed to have internally-lit signs.  How long should they be allowed to stay on – all night or only during business hours?  S. Gregg will update the draft for Selectboard members to review and ask the Selectboard to include it on their agenda for their next meeting.

B. Kerr moved to submit Sign Ordinance Draft #4 to the Selectboard for their review; S. Gregg second. All in favor.

 

 

Tim Maxham expressed concern about whether the update/expansion/new restrictions of the Development Regulations is really needed.  He said that the plans in the new Village Districts not to limit density will be limited by available septic anyway.  The Commission discussed whether to have a town-wide survey to find out what was important about South Hero to its residents.

Recommendation for Re-appointment of the Zoning Administrator

Zoning Administrator Martha Taylor-Varney told the Commission that she would like to continue in her position for another term.

S. Gregg moved to recommend that the Selectboard appoint Martha Taylor-Varney to another 3-year term as South Hero Zoning Administrator; B. Kerr second. All in favor. D. Patterson will write a letter to the SB.

 

Review of Minute

S. Gregg moved to approve the minutes from the August 1, 2018 meeting; B. Kerr second. All in favor.

 

New/Old Business

There was none.

           

Administrator’s Report

  1. Martha discussed the 2019 MPG grant applications, due October 1st, and told the members that the grant could be used for historic preservation.  S. Gregg agreed to contact David Carter to see if he would be interested in applying for a grant for a feasibility study of the old Town Hall (Granny’s Attic) building.
  2. Martha informed the members about the VLCT Town Fair, scheduled for Oct 3-4 in South Burlington.
  3. There was additional discussion about possible names for another member to fill the rest of the PC term of a recent member who resigned.

 

9:04 PM – S. Gregg moved to adjourn; B. Kerr second.  All in favor.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

 

Signed: __________________________________________ Date: ________________

                        For the Planning Commission

 

 

These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly-scheduled meeting.  All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.

 

August 1, 2018 PC Minutes

August 3, 2018

SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES                                       August 1, 2018

 

Members Present: D. Patterson (Chair); S. Gregg (Co-Chair); D. Roy; B. Kerr

Public Present: Tim Maxham; Sarah Kjelleren; Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

Changes to the Agenda

Doug requested adding discussion about a letter to AoT.

 

7:03 PM – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.

 

Public Input

Sarah Kjelleren proposed dressing up the Welcome to South Hero sign.  The Commission members were enthusiastic about the idea and discussed if there may be grants available for this.  Sarah also asked if there was any community space for photography or art, recording studios, etc. or if the Town may be interested in activating any community space for the arts.  D. Roy responded that there will be a community space in the new library that could possibly be used in this way.  S. Gregg suggested that Sarah look into joining the committee that will be considering future options for the old Town Hall (Granny’s Attic building) as a possible opportunity for this type of space.

 

Continue Review of Draft Regulations

The Commission reviewed a draft of regulations regarding home-based businesses that was submitted by B. Kerr.  Discussion included clarifying the language on the limit to the percentage of a dwelling or accessory structure that a proposed home occupation can use (no more than 30% of the dwelling, whether located in the dwelling or an accessory structure), and that of a Home Enterprise (50%, same as above). 

 

A final review of Definitions will be included in the August 15 PC meeting.  The Final Draft will be reviewed at the September 5, 2018 meeting.

 

Continue Review of Sign Ordinance

There was discussion on building-mounted signs and if they should be limited to one per business.  There was also discussion on temporary construction signs, sandwich boards, internally-lit signs, and the threat of light pollution from signage.  The Commission decided to let the Selectboard decide the time limit by which signs must meet the requirements of the Ordinance.

 

Review of Minutes

  1. Gregg moved to approve the minutes from the July 18, 2018, with corrections; D. Patterson second. All in favor.

 

 

 

New/Old Business

  1. Patterson explained that he had discussed with the Fire Department the FD’s trucks having difficulty with cars yielding to them as they attempted to enter US RT 2 at their new location at RT260. Despite having lights and sirens in use, it was observed that a dozen or more cars continued past the entrance without stopping to let emergency vehicles onto RT 2. Doug recommended that the Planning Commission draft a letter to be presented to the Selectboard requesting that VTrans allow the Town to install an emergency access signal that would be activated from within the trucks to stop traffic on RT 2 to allow emergency vehicles out.  Doug will write the letter and present it to the Selectboard at their August 13 meeting.

 

Administrator’s Report

Martha reported that she continues to look for a candidate to fill the seat on the Commission vacated by Regan Henry.

 

8:57 PM – S. Gregg moved to adjourn; B. Kerr second.  All in favor.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

 

Signed: __________________________________________ Date: _________________

                        For the Planning Commission

 

These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly-scheduled meeting.  All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.

 

 

June 20, 2018 PC Minutes

June 26, 2018

SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES                           June 20, 2018

 

Members present: D. Patterson (Chair); S. Gregg (Vice-Chair); B. Kerr

Member Absent: D. Roy

Public Present: Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

7:03PM – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.

 

Changes to the Agenda

There were none.

 

Public Input

There was none.

 

Con’t Review of Draft Development Regulations – Articles 5 and 6

  1. Patterson submitted a draft of a new Section 503 within Article 5 (General Regulations) to clarify standards for driveways for a single-unit dwelling. No construction standards would be required for these driveways, but standards for driveways exceeding 400 and 800 feet are suggested for the health, safety, and welfare of the occupants of these dwellings. Submitted language under Article 6 (Development Standards) included a possible exemption by the DRB, on a case-by-case basis, from the requirement to upgrade an existing road to Town road standards, with an emphasis placed on the health, safety, and welfare of new dwelling units on proposed parcels.  Doug commented that once the survey of the roads in town is complete, the DRB will have more information on which roads may need to be reviewed.  In addition, the Board discussed whether the  Town’s definition of a road should be the same as the State E911 definition (anything more than 2 dwellings or uses) and chose to maintain the current definition of 4 or more (per current definition found in Section 502).

Under proposed Section 704 (Home Occupations), the members discussed what the definition of a MINOR portion of a structure is. It was decided to limit it to 30%.  Additional discussion concerned clarifying between the use of a dwelling and an accessory structure.  B Kerr agreed to work on this section and present it at the next meeting.

There was additional discussion about the approval procedure and whether the Commission would prefer to present the updates as one document or to do it piecemeal. Doug agreed with Jonathan Shaw’s suggestion at the June 4th meeting to present the entire document at a public hearing and then take the temperature afterwards as to the response to the proposed changes.

 

Review of Minutes

  1. Gregg moved to approve the minutes from the June 4, 2018 Special Meeting; B. Kerr second. All in favor.

 

 

New/Old Business

The members asked Martha to look at the Act 250 permit for Island Racing to see if there are any conditions of approval related to noise or hours of operation.

 

Administrator’s Report

The first-Wednesday-in-July meeting (the 4th) is cancelled.  The Commission’s next meeting will be July 18.  Martha will be out of town for that meeting.  S. Gregg agreed to take minutes for that meeting.

 

Con’t Review of Proposed Sign Ordinance

  1. There was discussion on the average life-span of a sign and how long it would take before all signs were required to meet the ordinance standards.
  2. Should here be an inventory of signs in town before the new ordinance goes into effect.
  3. Signs with the names of subdivision should be exempt from size limitations.
  4. How many sandwich board signs to allow? 2 per business?
  5. Sandy will look up the state statute related to political election signs to include in the ordinance, rather than just referencing it.
  6. What percentage of window space should be allowed for signs? No more than 30%?
  7. Internally-lit signs/church bulletin board signs – should have timers; should be lit from above.
  8. Any exempt signs must still meet the general standards. In the body of the Ordinance, ‘exempt signs’ should follow ‘general standards.’

 

*Continue discussion with “general standards” at the July 18 meeting.

 

 

9:03PM – S. Gregg moved to adjourn; B. Kerr second.  All in favor.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

 

Sign: ____________________________________________ Date: ____________________

                        For the Planning Commission

 

These minutes are unofficial until the next regularly-scheduled meeting.  All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.