August 15, 2018 PC Minutes

August 17, 2018

SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSI0N MINUTES                                        August 15, 2018

 

Members Present: D. Patterson (Chair); S. Gregg (Vice-Chair); B. Kerr

Public Present: T. Maxham; Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

7.00pm – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.

 

Changes to the Agenda

There were none.

 

Public Input

There was none.

 

Draft Review – Definitions

There was discussion on the difference between Personal and Professional Services.  It was decided to leave it as “Professional Services” in the definitions and include. As example, all those that had been individually listed under each heading.  Table 2.1 (Allowed Uses) includes them both under the same heading and requires conditional use and site plan review for each (if they meet the requirements due to number of employees).

Incidental Structure’ will remain as a separate definition even though it is also considered an accessory structure.

There was additional discussion about whether there was a need to regulate short-term rentals (AirBnb, etc).  The members decided against regulations but encouraged the ZA to inform homeowners that there is State Statute regarding requirements for Fire and Safety Code.

 

Con’t. Review of Sign Ordinance

            There was discussion on lit signs and how/if signs for some businesses should be allowed to have internally-lit signs.  How long should they be allowed to stay on – all night or only during business hours?  S. Gregg will update the draft for Selectboard members to review and ask the Selectboard to include it on their agenda for their next meeting.

B. Kerr moved to submit Sign Ordinance Draft #4 to the Selectboard for their review; S. Gregg second. All in favor.

 

 

Tim Maxham expressed concern about whether the update/expansion/new restrictions of the Development Regulations is really needed.  He said that the plans in the new Village Districts not to limit density will be limited by available septic anyway.  The Commission discussed whether to have a town-wide survey to find out what was important about South Hero to its residents.

Recommendation for Re-appointment of the Zoning Administrator

Zoning Administrator Martha Taylor-Varney told the Commission that she would like to continue in her position for another term.

S. Gregg moved to recommend that the Selectboard appoint Martha Taylor-Varney to another 3-year term as South Hero Zoning Administrator; B. Kerr second. All in favor. D. Patterson will write a letter to the SB.

 

Review of Minute

S. Gregg moved to approve the minutes from the August 1, 2018 meeting; B. Kerr second. All in favor.

 

New/Old Business

There was none.

           

Administrator’s Report

  1. Martha discussed the 2019 MPG grant applications, due October 1st, and told the members that the grant could be used for historic preservation.  S. Gregg agreed to contact David Carter to see if he would be interested in applying for a grant for a feasibility study of the old Town Hall (Granny’s Attic) building.
  2. Martha informed the members about the VLCT Town Fair, scheduled for Oct 3-4 in South Burlington.
  3. There was additional discussion about possible names for another member to fill the rest of the PC term of a recent member who resigned.

 

9:04 PM – S. Gregg moved to adjourn; B. Kerr second.  All in favor.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

 

Signed: __________________________________________ Date: ________________

                        For the Planning Commission

 

 

These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly-scheduled meeting.  All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.

 

Comments are closed.