May 14, 2019 Minutes

May 19, 2019

2019 Municipal Planning Grant – Old White Meeting House OUTREACH COMMITTEE
Minutes from May 14, 2019
Committee Members Present: Bridget Kerr, Taylor Newton-NRPC, Mary Harwood-Harwood Consulting,
Carol Tremble, Ross Brown, Bev Blakely, Terry Robinson, Sandy Gregg.
Committee Members Absent: David Carter-Chair, Carol Nedde, Bret Corbin, Peg Clark.
1. Call to Order at 5:00 pm by Sandy Gregg
2. Agenda Changes – none
3. Minutes of April 23, 2019: Motion to approve by Carol T., seconded by Bridget K. Vote unanimous.
4. Structural Assessment : A completed report was received from Engineering Ventures (EV) and
reviewed by the group. The following conclusions & comments were made:
A. It is in better condition than we thought.
B. EV will be contacted by Sandy G. to confirm the priority listing of proposed repair/replace AND to
include an estimated range of costs for each prioritized item based on current prices.
C. EV’s Bob Neeld will be asked by Sandy G. to be available to attend a later Selectboard (SB)
meeting to present the report if the SB so desires. This is likely to be in October during budget
planning sessions.
5. Community Survey Final: The committee went over all survey questions once again. The weight of
response wording will be changed to: 1=Strongly Disagree, 2=Somewhat Disagree, 3=Neutral,
4=Somewhat Agree, 5=Strongly Agree. Mary will get two price quotes. Taylor N. will revise the online
survey and then contact Skip Brown in order to get the survey to go live on the Town website by May
30th at the latest.
6. Final Report: 1st Draft by Taylor N.-NRPC is due by mid-October. The final report will be ready before
the Select Board begins budget meetings for the next fiscal year.
7. Community Survey Kick-Off: Thursday, May 30th, 5:30-6:30 PM.
100 Hand-out Surveys will be printed in 8.5 x 11 format at the Town Office by Sandy G. after the Kickoff
any remaining copies will be placed at the Town Office for pick-up by community folks. Taylor N. will
produce a one-page handout for this Kick-Off. Link to online survey will go live. Scouts are confirmed to
be on held to cook & sell hotdogs etc.
8. Outreach Meetings: Taylor N. will facilitate both Outreach sessions. Tentative dates of Wednesday,
June 19th at 7:00 PM during the regular Planning Commission meeting, and Monday, July 29th 7:00
PM during the 5th Monday SB meeting. Sandy G. will confirm both dates with Martha Taylor-Varney,
Zoning Administrator. Sandy G. will do PR on Front Porch Forum and in The Islander about these 2
sessions.
9. Next Meeting: Thursday, May 30th 5-6:30 pm at the Kick-Off at Old White Meeting House. Be there or
be square!
10. Meeting Adjourned at 5:50 pm. Motion by Bridgett K., seconded by Bev B. vote was unanimous.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandy Gregg

April 23, 2019 Minutes

May 6, 2019

2019 Municipal Planning Grant – Old White Meeting House OUTREACH COMMITTEE
Minutes from April 23, 2019
Committee Members Present: Bridget Kerr, Carol Nedde, Taylor Newton-NRPC, Mary Harwood-Harwood
Consulting, Bev Blakely, Sandy Gregg.
Committee Members Absent: David Carter-Chair, Ross Brown, Bret Corbin, Terry Robinson, Carol Tremble,
Peg Clark.
1. Call to Order at 5:07 pm by Sandy Gregg
2. Agenda Changes – none
3. Minutes of February 28, 2019: Motion to approve by Bev B. seconded by Bridget K. Vote unanimous.
4. Structural Assessment : An incomplete Draft was submitted by Engineering Ventures (EV). This was
a good start. The committee is anxious to receive the final report. Sandy will contact EV to ask when
we can receive the completed report.
5. Community Survey Development: The committee went over all survey questions once again. It was
noted that there should be no implied renovation to the building, rather, the survey should inspire
respondents to complete the questions from their own perspectives. Mary H. will rewrite the intro
paragraphs. Also, Mary H. will add a call to action with a deadline to respond by Sept. 2nd. Questions
will be re-ordered and re-numbered. We will not require all questions to be answered.
6. Final Report: 1st Draft by Taylor N.-NRPC is due by mid-October. The final report will be ready before
the Select Board begins budget meetings for the next fiscal year.
7. Community Survey Kick-Off: Final date/time TBD, however, targeting late May or early June. Sandy
G. will ask Lucas Tremble about having the Scouts do hot dogs & beverage as a fund-raiser for the
Scouts. Location: Old White Meeting House. Tours of the existing building will be offered and copies of
the survey will be ready to hand out. Taylor N-NRPC will host.
8. Next Meeting: Tuesday, May 14, 5-6 pm Town Office. Agenda to include final survey.
7. Meeting Adjourned at 6:07 pm. Motion by Bridgett K., seconded by Bev B. vote was unanimous.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandy Gregg

Feb. 28, 2019 Minutes

March 5, 2019

2019 Municipal Planning Grant – Old White Meeting House OUTREACH COMMITTEE
Minutes from February 28, 2019
Committee Members Present: David Carter-Chair, Sandy Gregg, Bridget Kerr, Carol Nedde, Terry
Robinson, Taylor Newton-NRPC, Mary Harwood-Harwood Consulting, Bev Blakely, Carol Tremble, Peg
Clark.
Committee Members Absent: Ross Brown, Bret Corbin
1. Call to Order at 5:00 pm by Chair David Carter
2. Grant Source Possibilities: discussion about the various resources for grant funding that may be
available for preservation and ADA requirements. Taylor N. will compile a list. David C. noted that in
order for the Town to plan for matching funds any project would have to be included in the next budget
year. Therefore, the target date is October 30, 2019 for any project funding.
3. ADA requirements: Sandy G. will ask Engineering Ventures to provide clarity.
4. Minutes of January 29, 2019: No action taken.
5. Agenda Changes – none
6. Historical photos were shared and discussed. Sandy G. will look into getting a quality scan from the
Congregational Church of the photo hanging outside Cordelia’s office.
7. Engineering Ventures (EV) inspection date of March 12 was discussed and Bev B. asked if the date
could be changed as no Grannies were available to be on site on that day. Other dates were discussed.
Bev B. suggested March 7, 11, or 14. As March 12 was the earliest date EV had available the 14th was
chosen. Sandy G. will contact EV to discuss.
UPDATE NOTE: After talking with the Town on 3/2, as the Town owns the building, Sandy G.
communicated to Bev B. that either Jonathan Shaw or another member of the Town would be on site
during the inspection. Bev B. agreed that was acceptable. Sandy G. talked with EV on 3/5/19 and
confirmed the original date of March 12. That date will stand unless we here otherwise from EV.
8. Wastewater Discussion: Discussion ensued after Sandy G. shared an email from Jonathan Shaw,
Chair-Selectboard, in which he questioned if the intro to the survey should mention wastewater at all.
The group decided that if the survey results in support of community use of the building (either ground
floor only or the whole building) then the next step would be to research and find a solution for
wastewater. This might include approaching the neighbor to the north. Taylor N. noted that any updates
to the building will likely trigger state involvement.
9. Survey Development: Taylor N. said their Intern would be available to input written results into Survey
Monkey. Since NRPC would be doing that it makes sense for them to set the survey up in Survey
Monkey. All agreed.
Age demographics: Should we take this opportunity to capture up to 3 age ranges of respondents?
Conclusion was no as some might be offended. However, Terry R. volunteered to go to the 7th &
8th graders and arrange for this group to do a micro survey as follow-up to their having taken part in
painting the cupola. The group agreed this would be a positive approach and provide crosscurriculum
experience involving the Town’s history.
Mailing: It was noted that “Postal Patrons” includes rentors as well as property owners.
10. Prior structural inspections: Sandy G. had copies from the Town Office and will get them scanned
and added to the website and emailed to the Committee.
11. Next Meeting: Tuesday, April 23, 5-6 pm Town Office. Agenda to include final draft of the survey.
7. Meeting Adjourned at 6:02 pm. Motion by Sandy G., seconded by Mary H. vote was unanimous.
Respectfully submitted, Sandy Gregg

January 29, 2019 Minutes

February 3, 2019

2019 Municipal Planning Grant – Old White Meeting House OUTREACH COMMITTEE Minutes from January 29, 2019
Committee Members Present: Ross Brown, David Carter-Chair, Sandy Gregg, Bridget Kerr, Carol Nedde, Terry Robinson, Taylor Newton-NRPC, Mary Harwood-Harwood Consulting, Bev Blakely Committee Members Absent: Peg Clark, Carol Tremble, Bret Corbin
1. Call to Order at 5:00 pm by Chair David Carter
2. Site Visit discussion about the Old White Meeting House. Historic aspects noted including structural issue caused by garage bay doors.
3. Minutes of January 15, 2019: Motion by Ross B. to approve, second by Sandy G., vote unanimous.
4. Agenda Changes – none
5. Survey Development – Mary Harwood lead the discussion. A. Historic timeline use of the building is important – Terry R. will investigate and get a copy to share and to be posted on the website. B. Past structural reports: there are past reports in the Town Office. Sandy G. will obtain copies, scan and get loaded to the website. C. What is the expected output from the survey and how should the results be quantified? How do we need to ask the questions? Should they be graded/weighted answers? For example: 0-5 with zero meaning strongly disagree and 5 meaning strongly agree. D. Do we address costs and how to pay for any renovations/preservation? E. The order of asking questions is important and should be logical. After discussion it was agreed that old questions #3 The Town Should: become question #1. F. Under question “The Town Should”: • Retain ownership of this building – Yes or No • c. “Weatherize the building” can be combined with f. and g. G. Questions should not present a “wild” agenda. H. Add a question about should Granny’s Attic become a year-round operation? I. If the Town retains ownership of the building and leases space then the building becomes income producing to the Town and results in the building going back on the Grand List and taxes will need to be paid by the Town. David C. described the arrangement with the Island Artist group that rent will cover the taxes for the old Rescue Building, therefore, covering the taxes the Town needs to pay. J. David C. will find out the carrying costs of The Old White Meeting House now that the Fire Dept is out. K. Last question should ask if the person completing the survey wishes to be a volunteer in a “Friends of The Old White Meeting House” capacity. L. Question(s) should include the degree of preservation envisioned and to what extent historic accuracy is desired. M. Taylor N. suggested the number of questions be limited to 10. Options per question could include 4-5 options plus the “Other Ideas” text box.
6. Next Meeting: Tuesday, February 12, 5-6 pm Town Office. Agenda to include refining questions.
7. Meeting Adjourned at 6:04 pm. Motion by Ross B., seconded by Mary H. vote was unanimous. Respectfully submitted, Sandy Gregg

January 15 Outreach Minutes

January 27, 2019

2019 Municipal Planning Grant – Old White Meeting House
OUTREACH COMMITTEE
Minutes from January 15, 2019
Committee Members Present: Ross Brown, David Carter-Chair, Peg Clark, Sandy Gregg,
Bridget Kerr, Carol Nedde, Terry Robinson, Carol Tremble, Taylor Newton-NRPC, Mary
Harwood-Harwood Consulting, Shannon Turgeon-NRPC
Committee Members Absent: Bev Blakely, Bret Corbin
1. Call to Order at 5:00 pm by Chair David Carter
2. Introductions all around
3. General discussion of the committee’s purpose included the following topics: history &
aesthetics of the building, responsibility to collect community member opinions, structural
issues, levels of rehab, costs, possible future uses, and limitations of the current building.
4. Taylor Newton explained the timeline starting with an end of May “Kick-Off Meeting” that the
public will be encouraged to attend. This Kick-Off will include a site visit to see the inside of
the entire building as many folks have not had that opportunity. Taylor will facilitate two
(2)public outreach sessions to gather community thoughts, ideas and visions for the
building. NRPC will assemble the final report to be presented to the Selectboard. The report
will include Committee recommendations.
5. Mary Harwood explained her part overseeing the creation, distribution, and analysis of the
Community Questionnaire Survey. It will be mailed early summer to all taxpayers. Shannon
will be available to help Mary.
6. Engineering Ventures will begin their analysis in February. Sandy Gregg will coordinate their
access to the building and determine a reasonable date for their final report. Note: ADA
feasibility will be part of their analysis.
7. Next Meeting: January 29, 5-6 pm Town Office
Mary will lead discussion on creating the questions for the community survey
8. Meeting Adjourned at 6:05 pm
Respectfully submitted,
Sandy Gregg