May 20, 2020 PC Minutes

May 26, 2020

SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION                                           May 20, 2020

 

Members Present: D. Patterson (Chair); S. Gregg (Vice-Chair); D. Roy; B. Kerr; M. Gammal

Public Present: M. Taylor-Varney (ZA)

 

[Meeting attended via Zoom]

 

6:02PM – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.

 

Changes to the Agenda

There were none.

 

Public Input

There was none.

 

Junk Ordinance

  1. Patterson had attended the Selectboard’s May 11, 2020 meeting to discuss whether there was support for a junk ordinance, but found that there was little interest from the SB in pursuing one since the State already has restrictions on the number of unregistered vehicles that could be on any single property. The Commission members discussed that the issue was not just junk automobiles and S. Gregg suggested that the Commission needs to hear more public input as to whether an ordinance is warranted. M. Gammal suggested the Commission develop “hot topic items” on meeting agendas to gather public responses, so the Commission would have a better idea what to consider.   These topics could include ordinances for food trucks, special events, and junk. The Commission members all agreed that a junk ordinance should remain on the list of topics for discussion.

 

Food Truck Ordinance

All agreed that this needs to be considered.

 

Discuss Town Administrator

There was discussion on the difference in responsibilities between a Town Administrator and a Town Clerk. S. Gregg had done some research on other Towns’ job descriptions for Town Administrators and their responsibilities. D. Patterson said he saw the benefits of having a Town Administrator. Sandy will send her research to the rest of the Commission members for further discussion.

 

Meeting Minutes

  1. Gregg moved to accept the minutes from April 15, 2020; M. Gammal second. All in favor.

 

 

 

New/Old Business

  1. Zoning Administrator Taylor-Varney has been working on updating old zoning application forms and creating new ones to reflect the recently updated Development Regulations. The PC reviewed a draft copy presented by the ZA of an application for a Waiver From the Setback Requirements in the Shoreland and Village Districts. After some minor changes, the Commission approved the new form.
  2. Gregg questioned whether trapping was allowed on Town property since hunting already is. She expressed concern that hunting is allowed on Town property. B Kerr was not clear on which trails may be within hunting areas and felt it was a safety issue. She felt that the rules and regulations around hunting near or in Town Lands should be reviewed. She felt this subject could be a future meeting topic.

 

Administrator’s Report

  1. The Zoning Administrator has distributed new copies of the 2020 Development Regulations to all Boards (save a couple to Selectboard members).
  2. 3-year terms for Commission members Gregg, B. Kerr, and D. Roy expire at the end of June 2020. All 3 members expressed interest in being re-appointed for another term. The ZA will still need to place an announcement under Town News in the Islander to see if there are any others interested in becoming members of the Planning Commission. The Selectboard will make appointments at their second meeting in June.
  3. The next PC meeting will be on June 3rd and will be held at the Town Office. The meeting will be outside, weather permitting. Due to covid-19, all social distance and mask protocols will be required.

 

7:10PM – S. Gregg moved to adjourn; D. Roy second. All in favor.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA

 

 

Signed: _____________________________________ Date: _______________________

For the Planning Commission

 

These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.

 

 

Comments are closed.